Survivors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A massive deadly virus sweaped over earth living only one percent of the population intact. Can the remaining survivors rebuild?

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» One Call Away
One Call Away Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 11:18 am by Dorian Leventhal

» Turning Over a New Leaf
One Call Away Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 11:17 am by Dorian Leventhal

» New Alliances, Old Plans
One Call Away Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 10:24 pm by Madison Isaac

» The March North
One Call Away Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 am by Dorian Leventhal

» Emma Frost WIP
One Call Away Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 12:45 am by Madison Isaac

» Character Backburner
One Call Away Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 pm by Madison Isaac

» Game of Thrones Lore and Locations
One Call Away Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 pm by Madison Isaac

» Family Reunion
One Call Away Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 8:23 pm by Dorian Leventhal

» Devon Blackmere WIP
One Call Away Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 1:02 am by Madison Isaac

May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Free Search Engine Submission
Free Search Engine Submission
RolePlayGateway Potter's Army
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Survivors on your social bookmarking website

One Call Away

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 12:45 am

The window on the driver's side of a vintage Ford pickup truck was down half-way; a breeze picked at several strands of the driver's long, graying brown hair. Robert glanced at the horizon, and wondered at the time. It had to be late afternoon - getting close to evening, at any rate. He had no idea what the nighttime would bring in this terrifying state the world was in, and he wasn't about to find out with his grandson on board and injured as he was.

In an attempt to give any would-be robbers a clear warning to stay away, the barrel of Robert's shotgun was propped just so out of the rolled-down window and secured there by gripping it with crook of his left arm. His hands were busy with the steering wheel, fingers lightly tapping the leather pads to make the wheel easier to grasp. On Robert's lips was the hint of a melody - he couldn't remember completely how the song went, only that Kayden liked it.

"I'm only one call away / I'll be there to save the day / Superman ain't got nothin' on me / I'm only one call away..." he softly sang, changing the key to accommodate the bass register of his voice. It was the only part of the song he could remember the words to: the rest of the tune was hummed as he continued the trek to Finlay's apartment.

It wasn't long before the tires of the black pickup truck found the gravel driveway of the apartment complex where his son lived. Robert glanced around at the vehicles that were there. Most of them were abandoned. Even more concerning was Finlay's vehicle was not among them. Robert pulled into a parking space near the building, put the vehicle in park, and took a steadying breath. Where was his son?

Robert looked over at the teenage boy in the passenger seat. Kayden. His grandson. The world would be a bleaker place than it already was if the boy hadn't made it. Blue eyes tilted and tried to assess the state of the bandage on Kayden's leg, but it just wasn't possible.

Robert placed a hand on his grandson's shoulder. "Kayden? We're here. You doin' alright, son?"
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 1:57 am

Kay sat in the passenger side of his grandfathers car half listening to him sing and hum and half trying to keep his thoughts together. The song his grandfather sang though it was one of the songs he liked it reminded him that he had called his dad for help for what seemed like ages ago and he never came. He wondered what might have happened to him since he called.. The lack of his dads car anywhere in view did nothing to help his thoughts.

He was glad his grandfather had found him though at least, things weren't looking very good for him back there with his leg and all. His grandfather saved him and likely his life, and for that he was grateful, but when asked if he was doing alright he had to think on it for a moment. Truth be told he wasn't, he felt horrible, not only his leg but he had been sick to and he had yet to be able to recover his strength. His mother was dead and his father was missing and the whole world had seemed to loose its marbles. But he couldn't bring himself to blurt all this out right then, he didn't think it would help him feeling any better.. and he was sure his grandfather didn't need him falling apart anymore then he already had.

So the tired pale teenager merely nodded his head "Yeah... I'm fine" he said in a blank voice before turning his attention to his fathers apartment. "Do we go in? or look for Dad?" he asked not certain what they were going to do next.
Back to top Go down
https://survivorsofearth.rpg-board.net
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 2:39 am

Robert watched his grandson think, and did some pondering of his own. What was going through the young boy's mind? He knew that Finlay was at least one of the topics. The truth was that Robert hadn't a clue what the teenager had been through - he could only guess - but it seemed a fair assessment to say that with wounds like what Kayden had endured, it was far more than what a fourteen year old needed to experience.

Old lips tightened into a line at the blank reply, but softened soon after. Robert knew that blankness all too well. It bordered on what he heard from other soldiers he had fought alongside in the military. There had to be something he could do to brighten the boy's spirits or help get him back on the path to good health.

Robert glanced at the apartment door at the questions from his grandson. "It'd probably do you some good if we went in and set you up to rest a while more, soldier," he answered, trying the new nickname out on the kid for size. "No idea where your father got to...said he got lost. That could mean he's anywheres from on top of the roof to halfway across the state; he'll turn up."
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 1:22 pm

The nickname managed to pull the smallest of smiles to the teens face for a second before his mood settled again. Getting some sleep on a bed or a couch sounded like heaven to Kay at that moment, maybe just maybe this was all a weird dream and when he woke up again everything would be back to normal.

He tilted his head confused how his Dad could get lost, he lived in the city for Christs sake one would think he knew his basic way around it. "How could he get lost?.." he said tiredly sighing before opening the truck door and pulling himself out careful not to put to much weight on his bandaged leg. "Just hope nothing happened to him to..." he muttered looking around worriedly wondering just how bad it was out there.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed Mar 30, 2016 3:40 pm

Robert smiled slightly at the reaction Kay had to the new nickname and decided he would endeavor to continue using it. "I don't know; all I know is he was in a panic when I last spoke to him," Robert sighed; he had been wondering the same thing.

When Kayden started to get out of the truck, Robert followed suit. He slung the strap of his shotgun over his shoulder and left everything else in the vehicle. Cautious old eyes surveyed their grandson's ability to stand. "You and me, both, soldier. We'll set up and wait here for him as long as we can. I'll go on ahead and get the door open; you just take your time." Robert didn't have a key to his son's apartment, but he did know that Finlay kept a spare one hidden in Olivia's flower pot near the door. He dug it out of the soil, wiped it off, and used the key to make his way inside.

It was dark inside; the curtains were drawn and the lights had been switched off. Robert reached in and blindly flicked the first switch he could find. Electricity hesitantly crackled to life, illuminating the warm-colored foyer. "Hmm. Looks like the landlords got a generator..." Robert muttered. It would have looked nicer if it wasn't such a mess: clothes strewn about, dishes and silverware left behind - a half-eaten bowl of chicken noodle soup amongst the clutter - blankets wadded up on the couch, chocolate wrappers in small clusters on the rug... It was clear that Fin had other things on his mind than cleaning the place up.

The couch was the closest piece of furniture Robert could find. He went ahead and untangled the blankets, and prepped the couch for Kay to rest on it; cleanup would come all in due time. For now Robert returned to Kay to see how he was faring with that injured leg.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 2:05 am

Kay sighed and swallowed worried what happened to his Dad but he shook his head, there wasn't anything he could do for now but hope he turned up. He used the truck to keep himself balanced he then hobbled along the truck testing out it would effect his leg.

He winced as it shot pain up his spin to put any weight on it all but at least it held and he was able to carefully limp his way over to his grandfather who had opened the door. "Thanks" He murmured and looked inside. " Whoa.. Looks like a hurricane went through here" he said looking at the mess..It was odd seeing his fathers place in such a state. "At least we have power" he said looking at the dim light coming from light bulbs.

He managed to limp over to the couch and set himself down, he rubbed his face with his hands still hoping this was all a dream but it felt real yet not.. like he still couldn't believe this was really happening. "None of this really feels real... like I almost think I could wake up and then none of this happened" he voiced wondering if it was just him.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2016 8:54 am

Robert stood close to Kay in case the boy's leg gave out, but also gave him space to move. "Yeah..." he agreed to his grandson's assessment of the place. "If I didn't know any better, I'd've thought a bachelor lived here."

Once they were both inside Robert gave a quick, suspicious glance at the parking lot before he closed the door and locked it. When Kay was close enough to the couch Robert went into the kitchen to grab a dining chair, and put it against the door. If anyone or anything tried to get through, they would have some forewarning.

Robert took a seat next to his grandson on the couch, and put an arm around the boy. "I know what you mean. Doesn't seem possible... like any moment we're all gonna wake up and find out it's some weird dream. Wish I could tell you it's just a dream... Seen too much now to deny it..." he said.

"You could try calling your father again if you want," Robert offered, feeling as though his previous statements were not all that reassuring. "Should get some rest after that, though."
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2016 11:33 pm

As Kay sat he closed his eyes trying to pretend he was simply visiting his Dads house, his Dad would be home soon and all was fine in the world. But then his grandfather start speaking, wishing he could tell him it was a dream and that was when dread started to build inside him.. It wasn't a dream and it wasn't going to be fixed anytime soon.

"Y.. yeah, Good idea.." he said taking his phone out. "Not much power left" He said looking at the power bar, flashing red to warn him of the low power. After pressing the bottom to call his Dad's number he waited hoping there was an answer.

"Come on Dad pick up, pick up.." he muttered in urging tapping his finger the knee of his good leg. He felt nervous, and scared and didn't he want to be.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2016 12:08 am

Robert watched his grandson closely. To his chagrin, he indeed hadn’t been very helpful just then. The old man was thankful that he’d thought to suggest Kay try calling Finlay again... a potential distraction, but also just a temporary solution to much bigger problem. If Fin didn’t pick up, things could go downhill quickly. Robert patted his grandson on the shoulder, stood up, and began picking up the dishes scattered around the living room. The same phrase on Kayden’s lips was going through Robert’s mind.

Robert took the dishes to the kitchen, put them in the sink, and sighed. “That boy needs you now more than ever, son...”

Finlay’s hands were bound in front of him by handcuffs. He couldn’t understand why they hadn’t cuffed his hands behind him, but he wasn’t about to give anyone any pointers on the subject. There was no telling how long the bandits had kept him prisoner... a few days? A week? More? All Finlay knew was that he was beaten, bloody, and dirty; his head itched with greasy hair, and he hadn’t seen a fresh outfit since getting dressed the morning he had taken Olivia to the hospital. Cuts, scrapes, and bruises covered his body. His face was no exception, featuring a crescent moon of a mostly healed black eye, and a split lip in addition to some scrapes and dirt.

He wasn’t alone, either. Two others who were imprisoned with Finlay walked side-by-side with him, while a fourth man took sadistic pleasure in prodding them with the barrel of a pistol to make them move faster towards the woods and away from the beginning of town. The leader of this particular bandit group found Finlay and the other two men to be of little value, and had ordered their deaths.

“Stop here,” said the bandit. “We’ll start with you.” He had pointed the pistol directly at Finlay.

Fin swallowed and put his cuffed hands in front of him in a gesture of peace. “Please... there’s got to be some other way. There’s got to be something else your leader requires where we could be useful...” he gestured to the other two. “If you’d just let us free, we could prove our worth...”

The bandit scoffed. “Bit late for that. Now, c’mon... I don’t have all day. Turn around and get on your knees.”

Brown eyes glanced at the ground. It was grassy, at least. His hands shook, quickly followed by the rest of him. Finlay had just started to turn around when the cell phone in his shirt pocket started to ring.

The bandit’s eyebrows furrowed. “What’s this?” A fleshy hand reached forward and fished the ringing phone out of Finlay’s pocket. “Kayden... McKenna”

“My son...” Fin whispered, unable to prevent a tear from sliding down his face at the thought of not seeing his son again. “Please, he’s only fourteen...”

“You’ve got five minutes,” huffed the bandit, pushed the button to accept the call, and put the phone to Finlay’s ear. “Go on. Talk!”

Fin could feel the fear and dread tightening his throat. He wasn’t sure he could say anything, but if this was the last thing he could do, he was going to try. “... Son? A-are you alright? I-I-I’m sorry I haven’t been there for you. I’ve been...” Finlay glanced at the smirk on the bandit’s face and immediately looked away. “...I’ve been delayed...”
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 4:55 pm

Kay looked confused for a moment when he heard a voice that was not his fathers on the phone. "Dad? Whats going on? I am with Grandpa at your place, where.. where are you?" he asked in a hurry. Partly because he could hear something was wrong and he worried, more then a little scared for what was happening. The other part was his phone was about to die and he wanted to hear more from his father before it died.

Kay looked across to his Grandfather since he knew something was wrong but he wasn't sure what to do about it.

"We can come and get you?" he said just wanting get his dad and have this day be over with then he could sleep without the tight lump in his throat.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2016 11:30 pm

Finlay squeezed his eyes shut. How could he even begin to explain to his son what was happening? He took a breath. “I’m about half an hour’s drive away... I was running from a quarantine... took a wrong turn onto the highway; long story short, I got lost. I... ran into some trouble,” he explained. There was so much he wanted to say, and not a lot of time. He opened his eyes but kept his gaze fixed on the ground.

Fin’s eyes widened at the suggestion that his son and father could come get him. “No! You’ll put yourselves both in danger – You cannae come get me!” he panicked. The bandit holding the phone for him was so focused on eavesdropping that his guard was down. Out of the corner of his eye Fin could see that one of the prisoners – Charles, if he remembered correctly – had managed to slip out of his handcuffs and was getting ready to hit the bandit over the head with a fist-sized rock.

“Kayden, I’ll do my best to get home soon. Whatever happens... I love you, son.”

Robert turned to look at Kayden the moment the word ‘wrong’ left the teen’s lips. The man was old, but not decrepit or hard of hearing. He returned to his grandson’s side, sat down, and listened intently for any clues from the other end of the line. Graying eyebrows furrowed as he tried to hear his son’s voice on the other end.

There wasn’t much he could do for either Finlay or Kayden at the moment, and Robert scowled inwardly at the helplessness he felt. The only thing he could do was watch, wait, and offer what solace he could.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 1:18 pm

Kay wasn't sure what was happening as he looked at his phone and listened to his father. His heart beat furiously cause he knew something what wrong but wasn't exactly sure what, still and there was nothing he could do about it. It was something dangerous but he honestly didn't feel like it mattered, seemed like everything was dangerous.

After his phone died and his Dad told him his love Kay felt like throwing his dead phone across the room. Instead he clutched it tightly and looked at his grandfather, "What do we do? We have a way to find him right?" he asked, he was desperate for an answer something other then sitting in this apartment doing nothing. Deep in his mind he rationally knew he was in no shape to venture out to rescue his father. Even if his leg wasn't messed up they hadn't the supplies or anything to really attempt it..

It was just impossible to accept all this, how could he? The world fallen apart, his mother dead likely still in his bed where he had left her... and his Dad was who knew where and he had no idea if he was even going to make it back alive. "Damn it Dad" he cursed wishing he knew what to do.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2016 11:12 pm

Robert watched his grandson closely. He wasn’t sure whether the conversation had properly ended, or if the phone’s battery simply gave out... but he could tell that Kayden wasn’t soothed much by the phone call. The old man swallowed as he watched the teen’s knuckles go white while clutching the phone, and he prayed Kayden wouldn’t throw it. He put a hand on Kayden’s shoulder. “Son... you’re not in any shape to be looking for trouble. You’re injured, and you need rest. Did he tell you anything about where he was, or what direction he went?”

Finlay heard the phone disconnect right as Charles struck the bandit over the head with a rock. The blow caused the bulky bandit to be knocked away, and the cell phone jarred from his hand. Finlay ducked and scrambled to hide behind a tree as the bandit took a blind shot at them. “Gotta get outta these...” Fin muttered, grabbed the prong on his belt, and stuck the metal piece into the lock on one of the handcuffs. Rodney had shown him this trick numerous times before, a long time ago when they were barely out of high school. It was nothing short of a miracle when Finlay heard the handcuff click. The locking mechanism sprang open, granting him freedom at long last.

Finlay stepped out from behind the tree just as the bandit shot the third prisoner – a man named Ben. Ben and Charles struggled with the bandit; one of them knocked the pistol out of the bandit’s hand, and the other kicked it away from the fight. Finlay jumped and moved back towards the tree when the pistol sailed in his direction. As the pistol hit the ground it went off, and the bullet just grazed the shin of Finlay’s jeans. He touched the scorch mark the bullet left behind, amazed at his luck.

“What’re you doing?! Get the gun!” shouted Charles.

Finlay didn’t need to be told twice. He scrambled forward, grabbed the pistol, and then retrieved his cell phone. “Got it! Move away!” Fin aimed the pistol directly at the bandit. Ben and Charles scooted out of the way. “You two alright?” he asked his comrades, though didn’t look at them.  

“Will be once I get out of here. Ben’s gonna need a doctor, but we have one back home.”

Fin only heard the first part of what Charles had said. His attention was focused on the bandit that had terrorized them for days on end, and the fact that the three of them had the bandit right where they wanted him. He fired a warning shot when the bandit tried to stand. “Stay on your knees and don't move!” Finlay snarled through gritted teeth.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 8:38 pm

Kay sighed frustrated "I can't sleep when he is out there in trouble!" the teen exclaimed even though he knew his grandfather was right. And really he had no right to yell.. this was just all so far beyond the point of reason.

Kay shook his head and took a deep breath, "He only said he was a half an hours ride away but wouldn't tell me where he was. Said it was to dangerous for us to come looking for him." he said in a more defeated tone.

"It sounded like there were others with him at the start of the call.. I think he is being held against his will or something" he said in a worried tone. He really didn't know what to do.. What was there when all he could do was wait and hope his Dad came back alive from where ever he was. Kay let his dead phone harmlessly drop to floor.. it was fairly useless right now until he could find a decent power outlet and a charger. He looked at his grandfather and swallowed not at all sure what else there was to say..To say this sucks was such a deep understatement it was funny...
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 10:59 pm

Robert didn’t flinch at the shout from his grandson. The boy’s reaction was understandable... there was no way Robert himself could find sleep with the knowledge that his son was in trouble. He pressed his lips together in thought. “That could mean he ran into trouble in the next city over...” The old man had half a notion to actually go out looking for Finlay, even though he didn’t have much with him in the way of providing a sufficient defense. Kayden’s prowess at video games meant he had the concept of weapons fire down... but would an old man and a young boy really have what it takes to rescue Finlay? Robert couldn’t be certain of that... and he wouldn’t be able to forgive himself if Kayden sustained any more injuries, or met a worse fate while they attempted such a feat.

He swallowed, and looked at his grandson. What was there that he could say to comfort the poor kid? There was the standard professing that everything would be okay... but he doubted Kayden would believe that one. There was also telling Kayden that Finlay has been in worse situations... but that wasn’t necessarily true insofar as Robert was aware. Sure, the military didn’t coddle, but Finlay had been and continued to be tight-lipped about his time in the army. Robert didn’t want to state the obvious; he didn’t want to admit to the hopelessness of the situation.

Robert put an arm around his grandson and pulled him into a one-armed hug. “We’ve gotta be strong for each other... and for your father. If you want me to go out and try to find him, I will, but without knowing what direction he went in it’ll take a while... What do you want me to do, son?”

The bandit glared up at Finlay, keeping his hands where his prisoner-turned-captor could see them. “You’re not gonna shoot me...” he chuckled. “You don’t have the guts to pull that trigger.”

Finlay took a step towards the bandit, and glared down the sights. “Do not test me!” Charles took a step towards him, and Fin jerked. “Stay out of this, Charles! This has to end now.” He glanced at his cell phone and confirmed the call from his son had disconnected in the fall. Finlay slipped the dying phone into his pocket, and glared once more at the bandit. “I would like nothing more than to make you suffer... like you made me suffer...”

“Then do it.”

Fin aimed for the bandit’s leg, fired, and realigned his sights on the man’s head. A dreadful smirk twisted Finlay’s lips as the bandit yelped in pain. “Unlike you people... I have neither the room to keep you, nor the time to be bothered.”

“Speaking of time, we don’t have much of it. We should just get out of here, Fin... Ben’s bleeding pretty bad. This one isn't going anywhere,” said Charles.

The bandit winced as he applied pressure to the wound on his leg. “Your friend’s right... If you take too long, or fire more than three shots, the rest of them will come looking. Best you just run away now like a good little chicken...”

Finlay’s face twisted into a rage. “That does it...”

Charles ran towards him. “Finlay, no!”

Fin fired two shots into the bandit’s head, four more in the chest, and then spat on the fresh corpse. He shoved Charles away from him, and tucked the pistol into his belt. “What’re ya doin’ standing around here for?! Get goin’ – and get your friend to a doctor!” Without another word, Finlay bolted away from the bandit’s nest and didn’t look back. Charles and Ben were on their own now.

He ran to a blockade made of cars and skidded to a halt. It wasn’t until he got closer to the vehicles that he spotted one that was all too familiar: his own, nicely parked on the outermost reaches of the blockade and all too easy to drive off with... provided they hadn’t found his spare set of house and car keys. A grin tugged at the parched skin of Finlay’s lips – something he hadn’t been capable of doing in a long time – as he found the spare keys right where he had hidden them. He unlocked the door, slid into the driver’s seat, and started the vehicle to find there was still plenty of fuel in the tank.

“Ya stupid, feckin’ bastards... Fine by me if you’re not smart enough to drain the gas,” Finlay laughed, slapped the vehicle into gear, maneuvered the car back onto the road, and slammed on the gas. “I’m on my way son...”
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeTue May 10, 2016 11:36 pm

Kay was really at his limit for worry and heartache.. he couldn't send his grandfather out there alone, looking a needle in a haystack.. What if the same thing happened to him as it did his Dad. Then he would be all on his own.. And if his father did come back and found out he sent his grandfather out to look for him anyway.. it would just cause more trouble.

He leaned his head on his grandfathers shoulder at the one armed hug and shock his head.. "No.. It would be like looking for needle in a haystack.. and more likely to run into trouble to.. I can't make you do that" he said his voice was barely a whisper.. Resigned to the fact his Dad was on his own and there was little they could do for him.

He wasn't sure what else to say.. he didn't want to say anything more. He wasn't feeling well now but he couldn't sleep not yet.. The teen swallowed and rubbed his eyes fighting the dizziness the waved over him.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeWed May 11, 2016 11:26 pm

Robert let Kay lean on him. It was the best he could do for the boy, to support him. The old man just wished there was more he could do. Although Kayden’s whispered response was the more reasonable and logical choice, Robert was unable to stop his own pang of heartache. He held on tight to his grandson, ready and willing to welcome whatever emotions bubbled to the surface of the teen’s mind and heart.

Out of the corner of his eye, Robert watched Kayden rub his eyes. To him that meant the teenager must be tired. He gave Kayden one last hug before shifting to let the teen have the couch to himself. “Let’s at least get that leg up... you don’t have to sleep if you don’t want to. Should probably get some food in you while we’re at it. Feel like having anything in particular?”

Finlay’s car screamed down the highway, his foot nearly crushing the accelerator to the floor. Adrenaline was still thundering through his veins. It was through sheer luck that the bandits were thoroughly unprepared for his escape, and were unable to follow or track him very far. Fin was completely baffled how he managed to get lost all those days ago... but grief and panic do crazy things to a person’s mind.

Under normal circumstances, the trip home would have taken the whole of the thirty minutes he had explained to Kayden over the phone. Without traffic, traffic lights, or police officers to enforce speed limits, Finlay pulled into the driveway in record time. He drove around the parking lot and parked his car right beside an all-too-familiar vintage, black pickup truck. Fin turned off the ignition, sat back in his seat, and sighed. “Home...”

Finlay pulled himself forward and reached into the glovebox for his pack of cigarettes. They were gone. He tried the cubby hole where the CDs were kept – his secondary hiding spot. Also gone. Fin ran one hand through his hair, and smacked the steering wheel with the other. “Hope they all choke on ‘em...” he muttered and got out of the car. There wasn’t any point in locking it: there was little to nothing of practical survival value in there.

Fin jogged to the door of his apartment and put his key in the lock...
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeSat May 21, 2016 11:32 pm

Kay slowly leaned back and put his leg on the couch but shook his head slightly to the offer of food. "No, nothing" he said since he wasn't sure he would keep it down. "Maybe later, you can eat though" he suggested after a moment so that his grandfather might let him be for at least a little bit about food.

Then the sound at the door caused Kay to jump and he sat up as best he could as he with his bad leg. "Who is there?" he asked looking between his grandfather and the door, a thought of a weapon crossed his mind but nothing was in reach.

Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2016 2:19 am

Robert watched his grandson, and gave the boy a pat on the shoulder. “Alright. If you’re sure...” He didn’t feel much like eating, either... not while God only knew what was happening to his son. The old man pulled a blanket off the back of the couch and draped it over Kay’s feet and legs. Such a simple thing always made Robert feel better, and hoped it would do the same for his grandson.

He was halfway to the kitchen when he heard a sound at the door. Kayden heard it, too. Robert returned to the living room, looked around for his shotgun, and remembered that he still had it strapped to his back. He pulled the weapon’s strap over his head and aimed the shotgun at the door. “We’re armed!” Whoever it was, they would be distracted for a little while with the chair he’d placed in front of the door... that would be all the time Robert needed. “Keep out of sight, if they get in...” he muttered to Kay.

Fin paused. That was his son’s voice... was that alarm in his tone? He hadn’t thought to announce himself, first... perhaps he should have done that first. The thought of home and family was enough to drive the gravity of what was going on in the world, and the dangers his son and father may or may not have faced, out of his mind.

When Robert shouted about being armed, Finlay jumped away from the door. “It’s just me! I managed to get away without being followed... Would ya lemme in, please?! Something’s blocking the door.”
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 8:23 pm

Kay was getting off the couch and hobbled over to kitchen to get a weapon just in case, he wanted something to defend himself with. He grabbed a knife from a drawer and lowered himself behind the counter.

Then he heard his Dad's voice he blinked and pulled himself up.

"Dad?" he called out with uncertainty, with how bad the call they had, had sounded it was slightly hard to believe he was really on the other side of the door right now. The teen looked at his grandfather and limped over to the door to move the chair out of the way.. It sounded a lot like his father and it gave him enough hope to open the door.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 10:11 am

Robert nodded when Kay looked to him. "I've got you covered..." he murmured.

Finlay heard a piece of furniture being moved out of the way, but still kept to one side of the door in case his father decided to shoot first and ask questions later. He pressed his wrist to the split in his lip to see if it was still bleeding. It wasn't. Fin ran a hand through his hair, knowing that between the cuts, bruises, and scrapes... combined with the handcuff still dangling from one wrist and the dirty clothes... he was likely going to startle them by arriving home in such a state.

As the door opened Fin half expected to see his father directly on the other side of it. Instead it was Kayden, and without a second thought he hugged his son. "I'm sorry I scared you... I was scared, too."

Robert lowered his shotgun, and relaxed. He'd recognize that particular mop of brown hair anywhere, regardless of how well it was - or in this case wasn't - taken care of. In the old man's opinion Finlay looked as though he just crawled out from under a train wreck. "Good Lord, Finlay..."
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2016 9:47 pm

Kay hugged his father back automatically and relaxed somewhat, but not really sure what to say for a moment. He had been just about to give his father up for being killed and now here he was.. Looking like hell, but he was alive and still sounded like himself. He was relieved his father was alive and home he honestly was but he wasn't sure how to express it. He just felt so emotionally out of it and exhausted he wasn't sure if his relief was really clear to see.

"Don't worry about it... Your back now" he finally said pulling back from his father, though his voice was cracked and tired. He vaguely heard his grandfathers reaction to his fathers appearance and felt the need to ask, "Are you alright?.. Things didn't sound good on the phone call..." he said remembering the medical supplies his grandfather used to patch his leg up. " We have some medical supplies left.. if you need them" he said looking over to his grandfather. Surely he didn't use it all right?
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Fin pulled back from the embrace, somewhat reluctant to do so, and looked his son over. Tired eyes, a sort of pallor of the skin associated with illness and exhaustion... bandaged leg. He wanted to ask about it, but would wait until Kayden got some rest. Fin bit his lip at the questions. "Some very bad people wanted to hurt me... but with the help of some friends, we managed to escape and went our separate ways. I'll be alright, now, son."

Robert wasn't waiting for Fin to say whether or not he needed medical attention. "Don't worry, Kay. There's still plenty of medical supplies left."

Finlay heard his father, but his gaze was fixed on his son. "Why don't you get some rest while I get myself cleaned up, Kay? We'll wake you when we've gotten dinner around."
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 2:56 pm

Kay looked at his father at the suggestion he rest, and he had a hard time finding a reason to argue. His father was back and alive, his worry about him was the only thing that kept him awake before. He looked at his grandfather and he was sure he would make sure his dad got patched up properly.

"Alright.." he said softly starting to feel exhausted and the temptation of a soft pillow and a blanket was really great. So he to limped back to the couch to sleep, he lay down and he could probably dose off right there if he really wanted to. But he kept his eye on his father and grandfather for a while longer fighting the urge to sleep just a little longer to make sure his father was actually alright.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitimeTue Jul 19, 2016 12:05 am

Fin watched his son limp over to the couch. Had he known the boy’s leg was in such poor condition, Fin would have tried to hoist the teen over his shoulder and carry him on whatever strength he had left. He grabbed a blanket, draped it over Kayden, and tucked him in. “Peaceful dreams, son...”

Robert opened up the first aid kit he had grabbed from his truck, and started picking out various supplies that Fin would need based on a guess. He thought Finlay was going to see to Kayden and then come over to get patched up, but the younger man walked right by him and into the bedroom. “Finlay?” He tilted his head so he could just barely see his son’s shadow when the light clicked on.

Finlay pulled his shirt off and tossed it into the hamper. “Yes, yes, I’ll be right there... Just lemme wash up first.” A dresser drawer opened, clothes rustled, and then the drawer was closed. A series of metallic clicks followed by a heavy thud told Robert that Finlay had successfully gotten the rest of the way out of the handcuffs.

“You can get cleaned up as we go along, son.”

The sigh of frustration from Finlay could be heard loud and clear. “There’s not much to be done about bruises – they’ll heal over in time.”

“You got more than just bruises, from the look of ya.”

Fin appeared in the doorway, one hand on his hip from which his clean clothes were draped, and the other resting against the archway. Bruises and brushes of dirt graced his torso. Most of the scrapes he’d earned were on his arms and shoulders, or otherwise just out of sight from the holes in his jeans. “I just wanna get a shower and a shave. That too much to ask?”

Robert sighed through his nose. “This ain’t worth arguing over. Go take your shower. After that, your ass better be in this chair so I can have a look at you.”

Finlay rolled his eyes and took a step backward into his bedroom, towards the master bathroom. “Fine…”

Robert sat at the table full of medical supplies and waited until he could hear water running. He glanced in Kayden’s direction. “Seems like he’s back to normal already... How’s your leg?”
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One Call Away Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Call Away   One Call Away Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Call Away
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Survivors :: The World :: United States of America-
Jump to: