Survivors
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A massive deadly virus sweaped over earth living only one percent of the population intact. Can the remaining survivors rebuild?

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» One Call Away
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 11:18 am by Dorian Leventhal

» Turning Over a New Leaf
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 11:17 am by Dorian Leventhal

» New Alliances, Old Plans
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2016 10:24 pm by Madison Isaac

» The March North
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2016 7:55 am by Dorian Leventhal

» Emma Frost WIP
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 09, 2016 12:45 am by Madison Isaac

» Character Backburner
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 9:20 pm by Madison Isaac

» Game of Thrones Lore and Locations
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 9:00 pm by Madison Isaac

» Family Reunion
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSat Jul 02, 2016 8:23 pm by Dorian Leventhal

» Devon Blackmere WIP
A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 27, 2016 1:02 am by Madison Isaac

April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Affiliates
free forum

Free Search Engine Submission
Free Search Engine Submission
RolePlayGateway Potter's Army
Social bookmarking
Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Survivors on your social bookmarking website

A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))

Go down 
2 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Empty
PostSubject: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 7:26 pm

Madison drove down the highway still very much in shock at what she was seeing on the way out of the city, Cars left in the road and now one in sight, a city of half a million... and everyone from the look of it dead.. Why had she lived?

It was a quiet drive out of the dead city.. the radio only had static on it, oh what she wouldn't give to hear something pleasent. Or better yet wake up from the nightmare, to find her fiance alive and her medical practice stable...

But the further she drove toward her parents town the less she hope she had it was a dream. Taking a shuddered breath she pushed back her urge to cry.. she had to get to her parents house, surely they lived.. or at least she hoped.

She drove mindlessly for an hour so and saw no one alive on the road, her dread growing as she neared her parents neighbourhood, as she drove up to her parents house she quickly got out of the car in a panic, Their car was empty and unused, she wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing, she rushed up to the front door.

"Mom!? Dad? God please be alive!" she yell and prayed through the door. She had never been a spiritual person really, using the term "god" as just a phrase then anything.. But at the moment she was desperate, and she truly hoped a higher power had kept her parents safe. The door was locked and she didn't have a key.

"Damn it ah..." she said in desperation and mounting dread.. that fact there was no answer to her calls was not a good sign her parents lived through the virus.. but she needed to know for sure.. maybe they were still alive and just still very sick.. she could still be with them try to help.. But she need to get in first..

She tried to open her parents car door as it had a remote to open the Garage, it seemed luck finally given her a break and the passenger side door was unlocked. She pressed the button to open the door and she ran inside. Everything look pretty much the same, her Dad woodwork projects fill a majority of the room though the radio was on, it was low on battery power and only static was fuzzing through the speakers.. didn't look like they had been in the garage in a while.. in the last few days anyway. It was a usual spot for her parents, to smoke it was the only place in the house that they did..

She went to the door that connected it with the rest of the house and opened it, with a deep breath she walked in the house.

"Mom?.. Dad?.. Anyone home? Please.." She asked again but no answer came. She walked into the living room and she soon found her answer.. her mother was on the coach covered in blankets and her Dad on the floor beside her..

"No.." was all Madison could say before she went to her parents side to check.. no pulse from either and both were cold to the touch.. they had been gone for well over a day. She cried her self out after that, beside them, she had nothing left, Michael was gone her parents were gone.. she had no idea if her brother was alive or not. He went to Australia with his daughter before the virus became global, even if he was alive.. she had no was to contact him now with every communication line down. She didn't know how long she stayed beside them in mourning, but it was almost dark but the time she came to her senses more or less.

She went to her parents medical cabinet and found a box of pills, could she do it? She put one in her mouth, the two, and three.. but before she could manage the fourth one she lost her nerve, dropped the pill bottle and spit out the third pill. She couldn't do it, for some reason she wanted to continue the fight to live.. using the last bit of tape water the house pipes would give. She splashed her face and made her was over to her parents bodies again. Taking advantage of the last moment of day light left she dragged them out to the backyard covered them in blankets, somehow she managed to set fire to them. They had always wanted to be cremated, said the though of being barried in the ground with the worms was disturbing. it gave some small measure of comfort to know she fulfilled their last wish at the end.

She spent the night at her parents house, didn't get much in the way peaceful sleep... and the shock of what happened only hit her again with she woke up in the morning. In a daze she gathered what belongings she could, clothes, photos, and some food the wouldn't spoil what her parents had. She gathered it all in to the back seat of her car, she had no idea where she was going, but she couldn't stay here.. it was to hard. Once she was all packed up she got in the car and drove off..

She drove miles down the highway with out seeing anyone, when she came across a blockade of sort a group of people and cars blocking the road. She slowed to a stop and one man approached her and to her shock and horror aimed a pistol at her.

"Get out, Get out and you won't be harmed, I don't want to hurt you but.." the man said, he looked crazed and desperate, starving.. terrified.

Madison paled, they were robbing her?! "What... ah please I" she tried to plead.

"Get out!" the man yelled, and cocked his pistol with a click.

"A.. alright.. alright I am getting out..." Madison said quietly as she opened the door her hands shaking.

Other people started raiding her things in the backseat while the other man still held her at gun point. A young woman walked up to them carrying one box that held Madison personal items.. and the photos from her parents house. "We don't need these.." the woman said she couldn't had been more then 20 and she looked at Madison with sympathy.

The man with the gun sighed and nodded "Fine.. give it to her"..

Madison was handed the box of belonging and the man with the gun gave her a nudge, " Get going now, and I am sorry" he said though his words rang hollow with the weapon still pointed at her. She turned and started walking down the road, and if she was honest half expecting a shot in the back. But no she heard car doors shut and engines turn on, then the gang drove away, leaving her stranded on the highway with a box of photo albums and book.. Seeing as she had no other choice she started walking down the paved road hoping to encounter a sympathetic driver or a house.. or well something..

She walked for hours with no sign of anything when it started raining, much like it always does in southern BC..it was almost night fall again when she started to see signs of a town a head, She was soaked to the bone, cold and hungry with very little hope left.. but she needed to try. So with nothing much left to loose, she ventured in to the town.
Back to top Go down
https://survivorsofearth.rpg-board.net
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:24 pm

Aaron Davis pried his way out of the main doors to the local hospital. He had entered through a different door, but didn't use that one to leave because it would be quite a walk back to his car parked out front. The distance wouldn't have mattered had Aaron not accumulated as many supplies and medical texts as he had. His pace was slowed due to the four large garbage bins full of useful medicines, equipment, reference materials, and not to mention some of food items that were still edible, courtesy of the cafeteria. It was easier to carry them this way rather than making several trips back and forth.

But why was a seemingly healthy man - no outward sign of illness, injury, or any other malady - raid a hospital?

Frantically, Aaron pulled the garbage bins along. He felt clever: noticing a blanket tossed for disposal the man ripped it into strips, and used them to tie the garbage bins together. After tying them together, he added yet another strip for him to pull them all in one go. Aaron could not express how glad he was that the things were on wheels! Maneuvering them to the front door was a bit tricky, but he had managed.

"Ah, bugger..." he grumbled, squinting up at the rain. Aaron dropped the pull-strip and twisted closed each of the bags so the items within wouldn't get soaked. Without further ado he continued dragging the supplies to his car. He pressed a button on his keychain, which sent the trunk whooshing open.

A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) 2012-Suzuki-SX4-Sedan-blue

Aaron glanced around wildly at the state of his trunk. He had been out all day gathering any and all medical supplies he thought would be useful. All of these new items would not fit in there. A part of him wished he could bring the garbage cans, too: they'd make great tools for transporting massive amounts of supplies around. An idea slowly came to him as he crammed two of the four large bags of stuff into the trunk. Next, he opened one of the backseat doors. Much like the trunk, the floor and seats here were also covered in a plethora of supplies. However, it was decidedly easier getting the remaining two bags inside.

"There... if none of that won't work, I don't know what will..." Aaron huffed, slamming the door closed. He tried deliberately leaving the pull-strip of cloth in the trunk, then closing it, but the cloth slid between the metal far too easily. He would just have to come back for the bins with a truck, assuming they would still be here. Now that his job was done, he could go home...

Aaron glanced up at the road ahead, and saw someone approach the town. A bit paranoid that this person might also be a looter, the writer hopped into his car. For a bit of added protection, he also pulled out a pistol. Both hands rested themselves on the steering wheel for a moment before he started the car, then slowly ambled toward the parking lot's exit. An eagle eye was kept on the newcomer.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:28 pm

Madison heard a car start through the rain, and this caught her attention, some one was here, so dripping wet, tired and miserable with no hope in the world left expect for who ever was in that little blue car, She started jogging toward it. The box in her arms making it difficult to run.

"Wait! please.." she said not really knowing what she expected from the person in the car.. she had nothing to give them. In fact she wouldn't be shocked if they just drove away as fast as they could.. or shot her, it might have been kinder.

As she neared the car she couldn't help but notice a lot of medical equipment in the back and trunk window, filled to the brim. She looked at the building he was coming out of.. the hospital. Considering the situation perhaps he was in group and they needed medical attention.. Either way it might be her ticket to making her self useful.. Giving her a reason to live..

"Wait sir please! " she yelled again with more enthusiasm this time, though she slowed her approach to the car not wanting to look to much like a crazy woman, wouldn't want anything to do with her then.

"I.. I am not here to rob you.. I promise" she tried to say more calmly as rain water dripped off her nose. She put her box of belongings on the ground, "I am unarmed" she admitted showing herself to be completely vulnerable. But she would risk this being psychopath, even if there was a slight chance this was a normal person and trust her enough to give her a chance.

Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 8:25 am

Aaron was on high alert as he heard the plea to wait from the woman. It didn't sound too much of a demanding, prepare-to-be-robbed sort of voice. Regardless of what the tone sounded like it seemed better for him to assume the worst and go from there. A vague curiosity made him wonder just what exactly she was carrying a box for.

As her plea became more insistent, Aaron stopped the car. That wasn't all he did, though. Not sure of this woman's intentions and already having had a few crazed run-ins previously, Aaron cocked his pistol and aimed it at the woman. He knew there wasn't much she could do holding a box... unless the box contained a bomb. Even though she reassured him that she wasn't there to take anything and was unarmed, Aaron kept the gun on her just in case.

"What do you want, then?" he snapped.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 10:56 am

Madison instantly raised her hands when he aimed the weapon at her, even though she expected that reaction from him , fight or flight took hold, but she resisted the urge to flee and she had no desire to fight. What did she want? a purpose? a reason to live? Shelter from the damn rain? She wasn't sure how to voice it.

With shaking hands raised she took the chance to walk closer to the driver side door. "A Chance, I... I am hoping you can just give me a chance." she hopelessly, tears filling her eyes but the rain made it hard to tell. Madison eyed the medical supplies in his car for a second before she voiced the one thing she could offer him.

"Your Supplies..I am curious, is someone hurt? I can help.. I am a doctor" she said meeting his eyes for a moment before dropping her gaze. "Please. I want a reason to live again... I have nothing but a few books and a photo album.. I won't take anything from you, I just need... something" She said looking up at him again a last flicker of hope on her for her face as she awaited an answer.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:24 am

Aaron stood his ground as she approached the car. He could tell he'd alarmed her, but with the rain pouring he could not see that she was in tears. However, he could hear the distress in her voice. Aaron reluctantly withdrew his weapon in wordless affirmation of giving the woman a chance. The man attempted to follow her gaze. His medical supplies? What interest did she have in that, he wondered?

Almost instantly his curiosity was satisfied. "My daughter is very sick, and I'm at my wit's end," he explained urgently. "If you think you can help - get in." There was a click of the pistol's safety activating, then another mechanical hiss of the door unlocking. With some hesitance he looked away from the woman to start the car's heater for her. Aaron wasn't completely dropping his guard, but if there was a potential alliance to be made he wasn't about to pass it by.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:15 pm

Madison almost couldn't believe he was letting her in, but his daughter was sick, she had learned after a few years as a children's Doctor and from thinking of her own parents they would do anything for them.. Even letting strange women in there there cars for the slightest chance they could help.

She nodded and quickly grabbed her box getting into the car, "Thank you.." she said quietly even though she knew he was doing it for his daughter. She would try her best to help the child, at least she would have supplies.

"I will do my best" she promised.. "How sick is she?" she asked cautiously, "It isn't the flu virus is it?" she asked, the thought of loosing another child to the virus naturally didn't sit well with her. But be damned she wasn't going to give up with out a fight.

"My name is Madison Issac by the way, call me Maddie" she said. She always made everyone call her Maddie since she felt the name Madison was a bit snobbish?... She wasn't sure, she just preferred Maddie.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm

Once his guest was inside, Aaron locked the doors and put the car into driving gear. He glanced downward when asked how sick his daughter was and if it was the flu. "I'm not sure what it is... All I know is my wife and daughter were ill at the same time, and my wife died. Emily's still hanging on, though I don't know for how long." With that thought in mind Aaron drove off, going in an entirely different direction than the one his new ally came from. Something simply told him that that road out of town wasn't safe.

Maddie earned a sideways glance from Aaron when she introduced herself. "Maddie," he nodded. Several seconds of silence passed as the car was driven around a tricky curve. "I'm Aaron Davis; freelance writer and adjunct professor of English at UBC. Or was, before all of this happened." He tried to fashion himself an on-the-spot nickname, but couldn't think of anything.

"So, what's a doctor doing walking about in the rain with a box?" Aaron's tone was curious, with only a trace of teasing. He didn't know this woman very well yet to chance anything more than a hint of mood-lightener. There was a good chance she had been robbed, or perhaps stranded by some other means.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:07 pm

Maddie nodded and looked saddened when he mentioned his wife had died of the illness while his daughter was still alive,from the sound of it she might not be much longer. But she made her self reserve judgement until she saw the girl and examined her herself. "I am sorry, about your wife" she said quietly, she was sure everyone had lost someone close to them in all this, but that didn't mean she would be any less respectful about it. "Emily, your daughters name I take it? it's cute"she said a ghost of a smile on her face, she had always liked the name Emily for a girl.. So innocent sounding.

She thought about the illness, it sounded like the virus alright, after all there weren't many infectious illness's that could cause death other then influenza. "How long ago was this, how long has Emily been sick for?" she asked wondering just how much time the girl might have if it was the flu.. the fact his wife already died of it concerned her, though she tried not to show it. She was sure the man was worried sick enough as it was, didn't need her confirming his worries just yet.

She nodded to him when he introduced himself "Aaron, normally I would say it was a pleasure.. but I am relieved to meet you regardless" she said glancing out the window for a bit, slightly nervous they run into the same people who stopped her..

She glanced at him and then at her box of personal belongings at his question " Yeah.. I am likely quite a sight eh?" she said trying to play along with his slight tease, though she likely failed miserably. " I was stopped by a group a few miles out of town, they took what supplies I had and my car. But one of them let me keep this, personal value only, photo album, my books.. and they drove off." she said in a shrug. "It was looking pretty hopeless before I noticed a I was near a town" she said recalling the hours she spent aimlessly walking down the road.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 7:53 pm

"So am I..." Aaron replied in barely a whisper. Over and over again it seemed his mind replayed the day he found his wife, Megan, dead while hunched over a toilet... And then when he had to tell Emily why her mother wasn't coming in to play a quiet game with her. The man was brought back from his musings by Maddie's voice. "Thank you," Aaron smiled. "We had been torn between the names 'Emily' and 'Alice' when she was born."

"Erm... God, seems like it's been forever, really," Aaron answered, slightly frustrated that he couldn't remember. "I want to say they both started to come down with something round mid-January... like, around the sixteenth or so. Megan died on the morning of the thirty-first..."

Aaron had gone quiet again, but this time it wasn't due to a driving issue. He was thinking about his daughter. Even though he wasn't a religious man he hoped and prayed to God she would live. "... Likewise," the professor murmured finally.

Eyebrows narrowed as Maddie told him her story. So that was why something told him not to go down that road. Someone, somewhere, must like him, he mused. "I am sorry, about what happened. Could have always been worse, I suppose, but still..."

Aaron pushed a button in the hopes that something other than static came over the radio. A mechanical whisper let out an angry, static-y hiss, and he turned the radio off. "Well, so much for that. There are a couple of CDs in the glove box, if the mood takes you."
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 9:45 pm

Maddie swallowed and lowered her head for a moment, despite being a doctor, she ran a office for children and never really worked in a hospital.. so it was a rarity she lost a patient or had to deal with death like that.. Now there was so much, to hear a man whisper with barely berried grief.. and with her own grief it was difficult not to share a sort of sympathetic pain for him.

She was likewise torn from her musings as he mentioned the indecision over his daughters name, "I like Emily" she said in agreement returning the smile.

Maddie nodded as he gave her the rough time table, she could understand time could feel distorted in a time like this. Life before the virus broke out seemed like a lifetime ago, yet is also seemed like yesterday. "That was a week ago, when the out break was at its peak..." she said trailing off in to thought. Emily from the sound of it has already lived passed the virus's life expectancy. "Emily might be a bit resistant to it if is the virus.. as far as I know not many people have lived that long with it... I don't know if that is any comfort to you... but I she sounds like a fighter to me" she said becoming curious and eager to see the girl.

Maddie nodded at his sympathy for what happened, "Thanks, yes could have been worse I guess.. They were just desperate from the look of it. First time anyone aimed a gun at me though..." she paused a moment her eyes not being able to resist glancing at Aarons own fire arm. "I don't think I will ever get used to it" she muttered her hands gripping her box loosing herself in thought again.

She bit her lip at the suggestion of CD's and looked though them to see what he had, she wasn't sure if it would help the mood in the car or not.. But Aaron seemed interested in listening to something so she looked for something appropriate. There were a couple rock n roll CD's but she figured they were to.. excited for them right then. Some classical, but they seemed too mellow. She did come across a Beatles CD though that might work.

"My parents had this CD... as I recall it wasn't bad" she said quietly as she put the CD in the player. "It was the only one they ever agreed on" she added for some reason feeling the need to share that tid bit of information. She swallowed, God she was going to miss them..

She remained silent as the songs played through the speakers, a few of them actually matching with the situation a bit. She glanced at Aaron for a second, wondering if he approved or cared for that matter.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:10 am

Aaron continued to drive, hands clenched on the steering wheel as he worried about Emily. His ears were trained on the words his new companion said. There was a chance it wasn't the virus? And, if it was, Emily was over the worst of it? Aaron nodded, "At least it's something. Emily never got sick very often, so I suppose, yes: she is a bit of a fighter..." A brief hint of a smile, though strained, tugged at the man's lips.

"I am sorry I was less than welcoming. Had a couple of run-ins myself with the desperate. Suppose it's made me a bit jumpy," he explained, risking a glance in her direction. Aaron chuckled as Maddie spoke of her parents and their music choices. "They sound like they were wonderful people."

Aaron's grip on the steering wheel loosened a little as the music flooded the speakers. He was still worried for Emily and wanted to get home fast, but at least now every muscle in his body wasn't on fire with paranoia. Feeling eyes on him, he glanced at the woman in the passenger's seat and gave a vague hint of a smile. "Emily loves The Beatles. Surprised that one isn't worn out by now," he chuckled. "Some of them are even rather fitting..."
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:21 am

Maddie nodded, there was a chance the little girl just needed help, that the illness had weakened her enough that she couldn't fight it off entirely. One look at the father beside her and she promised herself she wouldn't rest until she was certain his daughter was on the mend. "I will help her as much as I can" she promised again.

She shook her head lightly at his apology, " No it is okay, I don't blame you. Desperate times, Desperate measures eh? Never proven more true then it is now I guess, I'd be the same if I were you" she said leaning back in the chair wondering just how far the man's house or where ever he was staying was.

She smiled to his comment about her parents and nodded "They were, would have liked my Dad I think quiet man, very down to earth. Yet he had a liking for he most outlandish type of music, Alice Cooper was his favourite" She said with a chuckle. "Mom was the complete opposite, fiery loud woman, yet she liked the most mellow, soul filled songs" she said recalling them arguing over the radio station sometimes, Her mother usually always won.

She smiled slightly as Aaron seemed more... at ease in the car now. She could still see worry etched on his face but she couldn't blame him for that. But at least now he didn't look concerned she would draw a knife on him and rob him blind. " I am curious to meet her.. when she is well I mean. Seems like a delightful girl.. Oh How old is she? If you don't mind me asking?" she asked getting the feeling they were talking about a little girl. But she wanted to get more precise idea.

She smiled when he commented how fitting some of the songs seemed and nodded in agreement as she glanced out the window. The rain had since stopped and the setting sun was peaking through clouds.

"Very fitting.." she murmured as she moved her fingers in beat with the song on the player.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 7:50 pm

"Thank you," Aaron murmured in response to her repeated promise. He was genuinely relieved to have a professional to examine Emily, rather than rely on his instincts and blind attempts to cure. The man was a writer, not a doctor.

He chuckled at the additional information about Maddie's parents. "Alice Cooper? I haven't listened to anything of his in a long while. Sort of makes you wonder how the celebrities are holding up in this mess... Meg used to be a big fan of Enya."

He turned his head when Maddie commented on Emily. The start of a smile widened slightly. "She seven... and a delightful girl, indeed." Just thinking about his daughter, sick and alone, made Aaron speed toward the town in which he lived. He took the ramp a little too sharp and caused the wheels to squeal their protest. He did not even stop according to the sign, and instead continued to amble on towards home.

The road twisted and turned, curving gently upward around a mountain of a hill. Trees, flowers, and other greenery seemed to purposely decorate the landscape. In due time Aaron finally arrived in the mountain town where he and his family lived, and took a gently-curved road up to a log cabin with a considerable porch. "Home sweet home..." Aaron murmured, nodding up to the modest house.

A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) 66cover%20low
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:39 pm

Maddie nodded, "Yes, put them into the same boat as the rest of us now, it is hard to imagine though" she said having no idea how the Hollywood stars would survive in a world where their status now meant nothing. She smiled slightly as he shared the bit about his wife's taste in music, "She is a wonderful singer, though think I only really liked her songs from the Lord of the Rings movies" she said with a chuckle. "My taste in music is pretty varied" she added as it was impossible to tell him who was her favourite, there were so many.

She blinked when he revealed Emily's age, "So young" she murmured, too young to have deal with the world as it was now... Poor thing. But, at the same time the child was the same age of children she used to care for. So if any thing she should be in her element.

Maddie gripped her box tightly as Aaron sped up more, she understood his urgency so she didn't protest the increase in speed. She winced slightly when the tire's screeched and bit her lip slightly preying to herself that they didn't crash. It would be just her luck to die in a car crash now... A few years back she had been in a car accident, ever since then it made her nervous when driving got tense.

She sighed in relief when things mellowed out on the climb up the hill and they arrived at Aaron's home. Had it been any other time she would have fallen in love with the house, it was cute looking and peaceful.. you didn't find many log cabin type houses anymore.. or rather never used to. She imagined now some people might be moving back to the country to start over. But she had more urgent thing to do now, looking after a sick little girl.

"It is charming Aaron" she said simply getting out and putting box on top of the car so she could help him with all his supplies. "I'll help you carry some inside, I am impressed with all you managed to get, better stocked then my office" she said opening the door to gather some of the supplies.

"Where would Emily be? I'd like to see her as soon as possible." she said already having a vague idea to Emily's condition by talking with Aaron, but of course she needed to examine her to see for herself. She looked at to house to wait for Aaron to lead the way.

"First time I have made a house call" she murmured, these were certainly going to be interesting times.. since she didn't know where she was going to go when she was no longer needed here.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 9:57 am

"Thanks," Aaron murmured. He didn't mention that his wife had picked out the house. If he said very much more about her, the man doubted he would have the ability to keep it together. He couldn't lose it right now: they had work to do.

Aaron got out of his seat and looked up at the house in the general direction of Emily's room before opening the second door on his side of the vehicle to retrieve the supplies. "I, erm, had to travel around a little in order to get this much. Probably five offices and a hospital worth of supplies here." A rush of color tinged his cheeks, then dissipated. He would do anything to save his daughter. Aaron hoisted the garbage bag on his side out of the car and scooped the other miscellany on the seats into the bag as well.

"Just inside, to the left, there's a staircase. Emily's room is just up the stairs, left down the corridor, and to the second door on your right," Aaron explained, casually sliding his keys across the top of the car for her to use. He then went for the trunk, grabbed one of the large garbage bags from there, too, and began walking toward the front door.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 12:29 pm

Maddie nodded when he commented to how many offices and hospitals he had been to to gather this much "I believe it" she said she wasn't sure she could do very much with out at least some supplies.. other then basic first aid and some old fashion remedies. she suddenly thought on the stroke of luck that came on them, that Aaron not only managed to get all the medical supplies in the city but a doctor to. "You did good, all this and a doctor.. Not a bad days work I say" she said lightly.

She blinked as he slid the key over to her, she took it though hesitated, it might be better if Aaron could come with her to see Emily. Suddenly having a stranger start poking and prodding you when you have no idea who or what they are might be a little scary.. considering what has happened. But she would get to that when they got there she supposed. She walked on a head to open the door and hold it opened for him since he was carrying the bulk of the supplies.

"Might be best to set everything up in her room then, So I can get quick easy access should I need it" she said, it made sense just in case she needed to do something in a hurry. " I will organise it once I have had a look at Emily" she said as she started up the stairs to Emily's room. Maddie paused at the door opening it and taking a peak inside, again not wanting to scare the girl if she was awake.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 2:09 am

Aaron chuckled at her light-hearted remark. It was genuinely refreshing - a healing balm to the shreds of his soul. He supposed it was quite a productive day's work. However, neither of them were out of the proverbial woods, yet. "Thanks," the professor murmured anyway. "Suppose someone out there likes us."

It was with great effort that Aaron tried to not push Maddie over as he hauled a lionshare of the supplies into the house. There was still more yet to grab, but this was all he could carry in one go. He muttered an apology for his awkward-seeming gait.

"I had the same idea, actually. Depending on how she reacts to you, I'll run down and get the rest of it. Does pretty good with strangers, for now... which is more than I can say for myself," Aaron said, hauling both hulking bags of supplies up the stairs behind Maddie.

Emily's room was painted a calm sponge-dabbed lavender over soothing but bright turquoise, and dotted with yellow stars spilling forth rainbows. It had once been the nursery, but was soon converted into a little girl's room as she grew. Aaron had lovingly painted it himself, and wrote stories about the features of her room: of places where the sky was purple and the stars gave rainbows to anyone in need of a smile. The east wall had a castle mural, while the west wall featured a dragon, a tiger, and a unicorn gathered at a table, assumingly gathered there for tea. Megan had drawn that one, as Aaron was not good at drawing animals. Castles, stars, and rainbows weren't a problem, though.

A groan escaped the sick little girl as she heard her bedroom door creak open. "...Daddy...? 'zat you?" she murmured.

Aaron set the bags of supplies down, and slid between Maddie and the door to step in first. "Yes, I'm home... are you alright?" he replied, his voice as soft as velvet and as quiet as silk. Emily whined and pointed to the bucket near her bed. When he left her she had simply had an upset stomach. The new contents told him she hadn't been able to keep anything down. Aaron's heart broke to see his daughter so terribly ill. "It's alright..."

Although the cloth was used to combat her fever and had long since gone dry, Aaron dabbed at her mouth with it to get the caked-on vomit off. "There... good as new." He flashed her a smile and tried not to look too sad, and received a similar little smile in return. "I found a new friend today. She's a doctor, and wants to help. Will you let her take a look at you, darlin?"

Emily groaned her fear. This was probably her and her Daddy's last hope that she would ever feel better again. What if they couldn't help? What if she ended up like her Mommy? She couldn't bear the thought of leaving her Daddy behind, after how sad he had been the first time. "Mm-hmm..." she finally agreed - scratchy, vomit-burned throat and all.

"Good girl..." murmured Aaron, giving his daughter a light kiss upon her feverish forehead before gesturing to Maddie that it was okay to enter.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeMon May 07, 2012 3:09 am

Maddie watched the exchange with a heavy heart, Aaron certainly wasn't kidding, the poor thing. She would have to come up with something for that upset stomach soon after she ruled out anything that needed her attention more.

The moment Aaron nodded for her to come in she shifted into "Doctor mode" a calm and kind look on her face face not showing the amount of worry she had about the little girls state. On the way to Emily's bedside she did set what supplied she choose to carry down and snatched a stethoscope that was on top. Couldn't be a doctor with out one now could she? Plus she wanted to check the little girls pulse and heart rate first, see how strong it was.

" So your the Brave little girl I heard so much about" she said giving her a friendly smile as she gently took her wrist into her palm to get a physical feel for her pulse and one hand on her forehead to feel for just how bad the obvious fever was. It came to no surprise that she was burning up, she would have to get a thermonitor to got a more precise reading. As for her pulse it was on the weak side that could be enough to make any doctor worry. but it was steady for the moment.

" Call me Maddie okay? you don't need to be worried with silly doctor titles" she said softly as she patted Emily's little hand and got her stethoscope ready. Though she did take a moment to warm it in her hand first. "Your Dad tells me your name is Emily, a very pretty name I think, But is it alright if called you that? or do you have a nickname you like everyone to call you?" she asked as she listened to the girls heart and her lungs over the stethoscope, giving a listen for anything alarming.

She tried to keep the questions simple, for Emily since she could imagine her throat wouldn't be very comfortable right then, she would ask about the possibility of her keeping water or something like it down, but one thing as a time.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:12 pm

Tired and puffy-feeling blue eyes gazed at the newcomer. The stethoscope wasn’t that scary. What scared Emily the most were needles – but there weren’t any of those in sight at the moment. Emily decided the doctor was pretty. With some effort the little girl managed to hike a small smile onto her lips, adding a soft moan. She let the doctor take her wrist, and feel her forehead: her Daddy wouldn’t have brought a new person here if he wasn’t sure they’d be safe. “Mm-hmm...” Emily murmured, giving a small nod of her head. Her heartbeat was slow but steady for now. “Daddy calls me ‘Em’ or ‘Emmy’ sometimes...” Emily’s short reply was just enough for the stethoscope to pick up a hint of some respiratory congestion.

"We have a thermometer in the bathroom," murmured Aaron. Just to test Emily's reaction to his departure, he stepped outside the room. He waited, listening, then retrieved the device once he was assured Emily wouldn’t burst out in terrified protest. “Here...” he smiled slightly, holding the thermometer out to Maddie.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 1:28 am

Maddie smiled as she listened, making mental notes on what to do about the symptoms as she found them. " I am happy to meet you Em, I will do my best to help you get back to you normal self okay?" she said removing the Stethoscope. The Slow heartbeat worried her a bit, she was getting weak and needed nutrients somehow.. if she couldn't keep food down, an IV might be her only option for the poor girl.

She nodded to Aaron as he left to get the thermometer and smiled when he returned "Thanks Aaron" she said, turning back to Emily, "Open your mouth a bit okay Em? see how feisty this fever of yours is." She said moving to put the tip in the child's mouth.

"Aaron? You have a supply of water or something for her to drink yes? She is a bit dehydrated, would like to get some fluids into her. And something to drink might help her throat to" she said nodding to Emily. "Think you can keep something to drink down Em?" She asked softly as she checked the number on the Thermometer.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 6:41 pm

“O-okay. Thank you...” Emily murmured, blinking lazily. The room was so warm, and Maddie had even warmed the stethoscope for her. Aaron’s disappearance and return went unnoticed. A groan escaped the child at the sight of the thermometer. Emily tested for any congestion in her nose before opening her mouth to accept the tip of the thermometer; she knew she wouldn’t be able to hold her breath for that long, and to Emily that’s precisely what she’d have to do if her nose hadn’t been working right.

Aaron jumped when his name was called, startled from thoughts about his ailing daughter. “Yes, of course. Nicked some juice from a store a few days ago, and have taken to collecting and boiling rainwater. Just a moment.” Hurried footsteps marked his swift departure to do as asked.

“I can try,” moaned Emily once the thermometer was out of her mouth. “... How bad is it?” she asked, sliding her eyes between the doctor and the thermometer in the woman’s hand. The device glared a total of 102.4 degrees.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 7:39 pm

Maddie watched Aaron quickly depart again to get what she asked, momentarily wondered when the last time the man got any rest himself. however she knew she had to worry about little Emily first.

Maddie looked at the thermometer, it was worse than she hoped, yet not as bad as she feared. She gave Emily a small smile, "Pretty feisty.. but could be worse. You're not cooking anything on there yet" she said sympathetically, she patted Emily lightly on the head as she got up to look for something to help at least relieve her fever.

Looking through her bags she saw an IV pack and set it aside for later, wanting to talk to Aaron about it first, let him know what she planned to do when he got back from getting juice or water.

She returned to Emily's side with a pack of medically cooled cloths which might help her feel cooler anyway. " Here Sweetie, I got these they got medicines in them to keep them cool on your head for a bit, should help you feel more comfortable" She said softly putting one cloth on her hot forehead. " Now Em, can you tell me of any pain you are in? or other symptoms you have? I gather you gotta upset tummy and a sore throat? Anything else I should know about?" She asked in the same soft tone of voice.
Back to top Go down
Dorian Leventhal

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:22 pm

Emily bit her lip, which combined with a sigh of relief made a sort of half-whistle. However, she couldn't help but giggle at the notion of cooking something on her forehead. That was just silly. Emily relaxed into her bed, deciding she liked this Doctor Maddie person. Tired, watery eyes watched as the older woman stood to look for something amidst the big bag of things her daddy had brought in. She wanted to ask what Maddie was looking for, but didn't want to disturb her.

Emily tried to focus on the items in Maddie's hands when she approached again, but couldn't quite figure out what it was. Big, deep blue eyes set themselves upon the doctor and then upon the cloths. "Kinda like ice bags?" she asked, shivering at the touch of them. "C-c-c-cold..." Emily started to shake her head. The cloth fell over one eye and the little girl blinked apologetically for her mistake. "My tummy hurts, and my throat hurts, and my nose hurts. Everytime I try to go to sleep I cough..."

Aaron stumbled into the kitchen. He knew exactly where the juice was, as well as the boiled water from the rain barrel. But which would be better for his sick little girl? The juice would have vitamins... but water wouldn't have all that blasted sugar. Ugh - he didn't have time for dilemmas like these! Hoping giving himself a bit of time would help, Aaron grabbed three plastic tumblers from the cupboard. Still no luck in reaching a decision. "Screw it..." he muttered, grabbing a six-pack of juice cartons, a gallon of clean water, and the glasses. The added weight slowed his trek back up the stairs.

"Alright... We have water, and juice. Whichever she'd like..." he panted, thudding the gallon of water on the nearest flat surface and letting the plastic tumblers fall from the crook of the same arm seconds afterward. Aaron plopped the juice boxes next to the other items, and then all but collapsed into a sitting position at a corner of Emily's bed.

"I want juice... please," croaked Emily.
Back to top Go down
Madison Isaac
Admin
Madison Isaac

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 11:42 pm

Maddie chuckled lightly when Emily shook the cloth off her forehead "I know, and I would like to cool you down as well" she took the cloth and dabbed Emily's face with it for a few moments, hoping her skin will get used to it, before placing it back on her forehead. She nodded to Emily description of her symptoms, "I see, I think I get something to help with your throat, as soon as your dad comes back.." Maddie paused as Aaron stumbled back in and placed the juice and water down. She blinked when he all but collapsed back down she hadn't thought the assigned task would wear him out so.

Maddie got up and got a box of juice for Emily, "Good it will put something into your system at least, take small sips okay, I will get something to help with your throat, and perhaps something for your congestion.." she said standing up again. Before going back to her bags she did grab a cup and fill with water and handing it to Aaron.

"Aaron? Here you drink something to eh? Doctors orders" she said giving a small quick smile and going to grab the needed medicines before he could protest. Maddie took out a bottle of syrup for sore throats and a jar of vapor rub to hopefully help clear a bit of her congestion. she would get to stronger stuff later if needed, but for now she just wanted to make the child more comfortable as she treated her.

"Alright sweetie, How is that juice going down hm? " she asked kneeling by her other bedside.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))   A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 )) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Dead Road ((updated May 1 2012 ))
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Survivors :: The World :: Canada :: Vancouver, BC-
Jump to: